Since becoming Mayor, Buddy Dyer has cultivated an inclusive environment in our city government that promotes diversity and inclusion by establishing local programs, ordinances, and laws that benefit the LGBTQ+ community. Some of Mayor Dyer’s record on LGBTQ+ issues includes, but is not limited to:
- Establishing the city’s first-ever Domestic Partnership registry in 2011.
- Supporting Marriage Equality in Court briefs.
- Officiated a same-sex wedding ceremony at Orlando City Hall on the first day. marriage was recognized as a fundamental right for same-sex couples in Florida.
- In the aftermath of June 12, 2016, a terrorist attack at Pulse Nightclub, Mayor Dyer sought to help our community heal. He vowed that our city would not be defined by hate, but instead become one united group under the Orlando United movement.
- Mayor Dyer collaborated with Orlando City Commissioner Patty Sheehan and then Police Chief John Mina to launch the Orlando Police Department’s Safe Place Initiative. Safe Place provides the LGBTQ+ community with safe places throughout the city that they can turn to if they are the victim of a hate crime or feel threatened or harassed.
The City of Orlando continues to be a world-class tourist destination for the world. Ensuring that our city is as diverse and inclusive as possible for our LGBTQ+ community & visitors has been Mayor Dyer’s focus. This has earned Orlando a 100% on the Human Rights Campaign’s Municipal Equality Index four years in a row.
It is with this outstanding record that we, the Rainbow Democrats Caucus of Orange County, enthusiastically endorse Mayor Buddy Dyer for re-election on November 5th!Mayor Buddy Dyer Endorsement Announcement Letter